Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Ileigh Roman Catholic Church, Tipperary North
22403407
View of church from gate.
Reg. No.22403407
Date1825 - 1830
Previous NameN/A
TownlandLISMAKEEVE
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates200606, 165869
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Freestanding cruciform church, built 1826, with four-bay elevations to nave, single-bay chancel, single-bay sacristy and two-bay transepts. Pitched artificial slate roofs, with ashlar limestone belfry with cross finial to the south transept. Rendered walls with render plat bands and stone date plaques. Pointed-arch openings with limestone sills, having stained glass windows. Round-arched doorway with chamfered surround and timber panelled double doors with date plaque above. Random stone boundary walls with ashlar sandstone gate piers having cast-iron gates. Graveyard to site.

Appraisal

This church is representative of the modest form of pre-Catholic Emancipation churches in Ireland. The pointed-arch openings, stained glass windows and stone plaques are interesting features of the building. The site of the church is enhanced by its graveyard. Earlier church on site was dated 1758, as per plaque.
 
Back To Results