Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Tipperary North
22402701
View from south.
Reg. No.22402701
Date1810 - 1820
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBALLYNACLOGH
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates189233, 174951
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached Board of First Fruits church, built 1815, now derelict. Comprising octagonal-plan nave with two-bay side elevations and three-stage tower to west having castellations and pinnacles, and single-bay vestry addition to north with pitched slate roof, cut limestone eaves course and brick chimneystack. Hipped slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods. Snecked rubble limestone walls with dressed quoins and string courses to tower and roughcast rendered walls to nave. Lancet windows with cast-iron lattice glazing, having limestone sills. Pointed arch window to east gable. Pointed arch door opening with timber battened double doors. Dressed limestone masonry piers with cast- and wrought-iron gates and limestone boundary walls. Ruins of earlier church to site.

Appraisal

The form and structure of this church are enhanced by the retention of features and materials such as the cast-iron windows and limestone sills. The octagonal plan of the nave is of particular interest and is paralleled in the ruined church at Nenagh. The dressed masonry of the tower, with the ornamental castellations, are clearly the work of skilled craftsmen. The earlier ruined church adds further interest to the site, and together with the graveyard and the church itself, form an interesting group of related religious structures.
 
Back To Results