Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Brigid's Roman Catholic Church, Clonakenny, Tipperary North
22402304
Front gable.
Reg. No.22402304
Date1895 - 1900
Previous NameN/A
TownlandCLONAKENNY
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates211267, 180369
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached gable-fronted church, built 1899, having six-bay nave with side porch to south, single-bay chancel, sacristy to north-west, extended c. 1981 and belfry to east gable. Pitched slate and artificial slate roofs with carved stone crosses and cut stone copings. Pebbledashed walls to nave and smooth rendered to chancel, having brick quoins and surrounds to round-headed openings. Limestone plaque at side porch. Rock-faced limestone bellcote with round-arched bell opening and carved cross finial. Stained and coloured glass windows and timber matchboard doors. Open timber collared arched-brace roof. Sandstone rubble boundary walls with rock-faced limestone piers and decorative cast-iron gates.

Appraisal

Unlike barn-style churches, the functions of the interior spaces of this church are evident in the different massings visible from the outside. The contrast between the wet dash render and the red brick dressings and quoins provide emphasis to the forms of the building, as well as textural interest. Designed by W.G. Doolin, the architectural design is apparent in the exposed roof members. The detailed figurative stained glass windows are of artistic merit.
 
Back To Results