Main Record - Tipperary North
|Saint Patrick's Church, Curragunneen, Tipperary North
|Date||1810 - 1815|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL|
|Original Use||church/chapel|| |
Surviving front gable wall and part of side walls of detached T-plan church, built 1812. Sandstone rubble walls with dressed stone to openings, string course, copings and with rendered corner buttresses. Liimestone date plaque over doorway. Four-centred arched window to upper gable with hood molulding and latticed coloured glass and round-arched arcading consisting of two blind arches to each side of higher door opening with timber matchboard double doors and separated by pilasters with imposts. Remains of tiled floor to interior of structure. Bell stand comprising four partly-fluted cast-iron columns supporting cast-iron bell with raised lettering. Modern church built 1982 adjoins site to south and contains sculpted reredos from older church. Graveyard surrounds structure, with rendered walls with decorative wrought-iron gates.
This is a notable example of the replacement of a church building with a newer model, but with the sympathetic retention of the gates, entrance and footprint of the derelict building. The old church, an exceptionally early example of Hiberno-Romanesque revival architecture, apparently influenced by St Cronan's Church, Roscrea. It is of artistic and architectural interest and provides a historical context to the new church. The new church, built by voluntary labour of the parishioners, uses the pointed window openings, longitudinal emphasis and pitched roof typical of older church vocabulary but in a candidly modern style.
Back To Results|