Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Toomyvara, Tipperary North
22402210
East elevation.
Reg. No.22402210
Date1800 - 1830
Previous NameN/A
TownlandCASTLEQUARTER (AGHAMEADLE PR)
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates197722, 177513
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached T-plan gable-fronted church, built c. 1815, having chamfered re-entrant corners and three-bay nave elevations. Pitched artificial slate roofs. Pebbledashed and rendered walls. Pointed-arched windows to nave with Y-tracery and double timber sash windows, margined one-over-one pane to re-entrant corners, four-over-six pane elsewhere, with coloured glass. Stained glass to windows in entrance gable and west wall. Timber double matchboard doors with stained glass overlights. Reredos has stepped plan and consists of advanced columns with pilasters to wall, with composite capitals and supporting entablature. Entrance end has gallery with carved timber rail and supported on Ionic columns with entablature. Graveyard to site. Cast-iron gates and railings having brick plinth and brick piers and walls to site.

Appraisal

This church has notable interior features of apparent artistic value, such as its Composite reredos and its stained glass windows, one of which dates from 1933 and is signed Earley, Dublin. This is a notable example of simple early nineteenth century church building, and is still in use by the Catholic community of Toomyvara today. Its prominent position makes it a dominant feature in the village.
 
Back To Results