Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Tipperary North
22401505
View of west elevation.
Reg. No.22401505
Date1835 - 1840
Previous NameN/A
TownlandARDCRONY
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates189544, 187047
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached T-plan gable-fronted church, built 1838, with three-bay side elevations to nave, single-bay transepts with later sacristy to south-east. Pitched slate roofs with cast-iron rainwater goods and stone cross finial to front gable. Roughly coursed snecked limestone rubble walls with dressed limestone quoins and voussoirs to openings. Carved date stone to east façade. Lancet windows with limestone sills and having stained glass. Pointed-arch doorways having timber matchboard doors with glazed overlights. Two-stage round bell tower with conical slate roof to south, erected c. 1975. Mass rock to the north.

Appraisal

This church is enhanced by the retention of features and materials such as the slate roofs and cast-iron rain water goods, and the stained glass windows which add artistic interest to the building. The scale and form of the church is representative of the building type adopted by the Roman Catholic Church in the period following Catholic Emancipation.
 
Back To Results