Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Sopwell Hall, Tipperary North
22401002
Representative view of country house.
Reg. No.22401002
Date1740 - 1750
Previous NameN/A
TownlandSOPWELL
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates196952, 193683
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usecountry house
In Use Ascountry house
 
Description
Detached seven-bay two-storey over basement house, built c.1745. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Ruled-and-lined render to walls, with cut stone cornice and eaves platband. Cut-stone block architraves to all windows on ground and first floors of front and east side elevations. Timber sliding sash windows, four-over-four pane to upper floors, two-over-two pane to basement at rear. Segmental-headed windows to basement of front elevation. Timber panelled front door having round-headed block architrave with plain fanlight. Cut-stone doorcase with pilasters to double-leaf panelled door in south elevation. Flight of limestone steps up to main entrance and balustrade to basement level added in 1860s.

Appraisal

Sopwell Hall was built in the mid-eighteenth century by Colonel Francis Sadleir and the house has been attributed to Francis Bindon who had connections with the owner. The roof and part of the interior of Sopwell Hall were remodelled in 1866-68 and extensive outbuildings added. Constructed of fine quality materials, with crisp cut limestone details of particular note, the building is well maintained and in good condition after many years of restoration work carried out by the present owners. Located on extensive landscaped grounds which incorporate a seventeenth-century fortified house, two gate lodges, cut-stone outbuildings and a walled garden.
 
Back To Results