Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Kyle Park School, Tipperary North
22400710
View from south-west.
Reg. No.22400710
Date1840 - 1845
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKYLETOMBRICKANE
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates187784, 195636
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Useschool
 
Description
Detached gable-fronted two-storey national agricultural school, built 1843, having three-bay side elevations and flanked by three-bay single-storey wings. Pitched slate roof to main block, corrugated-iron to west wing and east wing roofless. Rendered offset brick chimneystacks. Decorative eaves board to main block. Rendered rubble limestone walls with brick arches to openings. Small-pane metal casement windows having dressed limestone sills with circular window to upper front of main block. Timber battened door with limestone name and date plaque over. Roofless single-storey stone outbuildings to rear forming courtyard. Cut stone gate piers to front partially dismantled.

Appraisal

One of several agricultural schools established by the Commissioners of Education in the nineteenth century, Kyle Park School was plagued with staffing problems and only functioned until 1875. The school's patron was a local man, Thomas George Stoney J.P. of Kyle Park, located across the road to the south-west. Distinctive in form and located by the roadside, this building is a well-known landmark but has fallen into disrepair through lack of maintenance and disuse. Despite its poor condition the school remains of high social and historical value.
 
Back To Results