Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Tipperary North
22400706
View from north-east.
Reg. No.22400706
Date1810 - 1815
Previous NameN/A
TownlandFEIGH WEST
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates193867, 198581
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached single-cell church, built 1813, having three-bay nave, three-stage bell tower to west end and vestry to south-east. Pitched slate roof with small cut stone chimneystack over east gable. Cut stone crenellations, pinnacles and corbels to bell tower. Rendered limestone walls with cut stone eaves course. Pointed window openings with chamfered surrounds and limestone sills. Traceried timber windows with mullions to north side of nave and pointed timber windows with mullions to tower, all with small panes and with metal lattice casements to south side of nave. Timber battened door to tower with chamfered cut stone surround to pointed opening. Timber panelled gallery and items of liturgical furniture remain to the interior. Surrounded by a cemetery with eighteenth-, nineteenth- and twentieth century gravestones and bounded by a rubble wall.

Appraisal

Situated on a natural hillock and within the same graveyard as a ruined medieval church, this Board of First Fruits church continues a tradition of worship on this site over many centuries. No longer in use, the nineteenth-century church has fallen into disrepair but the main structure of the church is intact and firm evidence of all window and door types remains. The variety of window types is unusual and adds much character to the building, as does the slate roof, cut stone details and lime render. The glebe house for the church is located across the field to the south-east.
 
Back To Results