Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Main Record - Tipperary North

Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Abbeville House, Tipperary North
Front elevation.
Reg. No.22400415
Date1650 - 1850
Previous NameN/A
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates195574, 203510
Original Usehouse
In Use Ashouse
Detached multi-period three-bay three-storey house having single-bay single-storey flanking wing walls to east and west, built c.1840, and with earlier, possibly seventeenth century, three-bay three-storey rear return and with glazed porch to front. Slate roofs, hipped with overhanging eaves with moulded cut-stone eaves course to main block, pitched and with cut-stone eaves course to return. Rendered chimneystacks, one projecting from south gable, and with cut-stone chimneystack to rear wall of main block. Ruled-and-lined rendered main block and roughcast lime rendered to return. Single-storey wing walls have exposed stonework with round-headed opening, now blocked, to each. Timber sliding sash windows throughout with stone sills, six-over-six pane flanking four-over-four pane windows to ground and first floors, two-over-two pane flanked by three-over-three pane windows to second floor and six-over-six pane to earlier block. Double round-headed traceried windows to central bay of front elevation, square-headed elsewhere and tripartite with engaged colonettes to end bays of front elevation. Timber panelled and geometrically-glazed front door in segmental-headed opening flanked by engaged clustered columns with elaborate cobweb fanlight above. Datestone '1773' on property. Substantial ranges of limestone outbuildings to southeast having pitched slate roofs and enclosed by high stone boundary walls. One range has cut-stone voussoirs to openings and segmental and depressed-arch carriage arches. Entrance gateway has spearheaded cast-iron gates between dressed stone piers with moulded cut-stone and domed caps.


An interesting example of an early nineteenth-century house, having possibly much earlier elements. It has elaborate windows with carved engaged pilasters to the frames. The front entrance is similarly ornate and the majority of original glazing to the house survives intact. The main block dwarfs the earlier rear part, illustrating a change in fortunes for the owners and the remarkable change in architectural taste between the two periods of building. To the front of the building are the remains of extensive earthworks of a former canal and gardens.
Back To Results