Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Rodan's Church of Ireland Church, Lorrha, Tipperary North
22400412
South elevation.
Reg. No.22400412
Date1810 - 1820
Previous NameN/A
TownlandLORRHA
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates192007, 204527
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached two-bay single cell church, c. 1815, built against east gable wall of the fifteenth-century St Rodan's Church, and having single-storey vestry to north and porch to west. Pitched slate main and vestry roofs and hipped porch roof, with limestone copings to main roof and rendered chimneystack having limestone capping to vestry. Cast-iron rainwater goods, with some hoppers retained. Walls rendered, except for west gable which is coursed limestone rubble. Tall lancets flanking porch, triple lancet to east end and pointed traceried windows with lattice glazing elsewhere, with cut limestone surrounds. Stained glass to east window and one in south elevation. Pointed doorway with double timber doors with tracery to porch. Window and door to vestry are recent timber replacements. Graveyard around church is at centre of extensive early ecclesiastical complex and is bounded by coursed rubble stone boundary wall.

Appraisal

This modest church is still used for services and is entered through the medieval church which is now a ruin, continuing the use of this site for worship over many centuries. The earlier church has been further utilized by the hanging of a bell for St Rodan's church in its gable. The present Saint Rodan's church has retained its original form and most of its original features and fittings, including the leaded glass windows, and the pews and gallery to the interior.
 
Back To Results