Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Ruadhan's Roman Catholic Church, Lorrha, Tipperary North
22400411
Entrance gable.
Reg. No.22400411
Date1810 - 1815
Previous NameN/A
TownlandLORRHA
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates191589, 204495
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached T-plan church, built 1813, having later addition entrance porch to east end and single storey sacristy to west end. Single-bay side elevations to nave and single bay transepts. Pitched slate roof having cement coping, and pitched slate roof to sacristy with rendered chimneystack. Pebbledashed walls with three carved stone heads to east elevation above entrance porch. Replacement double lancet small pane timber windows with opening sections and cement sills and surrounds. Replacement timber matchboard doors. Exposed timber roof trusses to interior with timber tongue and groove ceiling above having a moulded timber cornice. Stained glass windows, one each side of altar, are of St. Ruadhan and St. Patrick and were erected in 1909.

Appraisal

A good example of an early nineteenth century T-plan Roman Catholic church with original roof retained. Situated in the grounds of the former Franciscan Abbey the church was built very close to the surviving ruins of the abbey church, clearly illustrating the use of this site for worship over many centuries.
 
Back To Results