Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Cloughjordan House, Cloughjordan, Tipperary North
22304016
Front elevation.
Reg. No.22304016
Date1650 - 1700
Previous NameN/A
TownlandOXPARK
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates197620, 188240
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingNational
Original Usecountry house
In Use Ascountry house
 
Description
Detached country house comprising of five-bay two-storey central block with rear stairs return, built c.1675, flanked by a projecting modified medieval tower house to east built in seventeenth century, and a projecting ballroom block to west built in nineteenth century. The flanking blocks are gable-fronted and two-storey with attic. Pitched slate roofs with massive rendered chimneystacks. Rendered walls, with battered base and dressed quoins to tower house. Timber sash windows, six-over-six pane except for two-over-two pane to first floor of towerhouse, one-ver-one and two-over-two pane to rear, and square-headed half-glazed vertically-divided door to central block. Round-headed doorway with petal fanlight and replacement timber and glazed door to west block. Part of original staircase with barley-twist balusters survives. Various gabled and lean-to additions to rear. Detached L-plan stable block, built c. 1860. Wrought-iron gates set on limestone plinth to entrance. Remains of moat to north and east.

Appraisal

Cloughjordan House is a substantial farmhouse containing significant fabric from the medieval period to the nineteenth century. Its form, detailing and original fabric provide important information about rural architectural development in Ireland. It contains fine joinery and plasterwork. The barley-twist staircase is a rare survival. It is one of the few surviving nursery gardens for which there is substantial documentation, now housed in the Dublin Botanic Gardens Archive.
 
Back To Results