Main Record - Tipperary North
|Damer House, Castle Street, Roscrea, Tipperary North
|Date||1725 - 1735|
|Townland||TOWNPARKS (ROSCREA PR)|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL|
|In Use As||heritage centre/interpretative centre|| |
Detached nine-bay three-storey over basement town house, built c.1730, with later five-bay two-storey U-plan wing to southwest. Formerly part of military barracks. Now in use as heritage centre. Hipped artificial slate roofs with rendered chimneystacks to main block and brick to wing. Rubble sandstone walls with carved sandstone plinth and cornice. Replacement timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane to basement and nine-over-nine pane elsewhere, with raised dressed stone surrounds and stone sills in square-headed openings. Replacement timber windows, stone sills and voussoirs to wing. Timber panelled door with paned over-light, flanked by carved stone Corinthian pilasters, with architrave, frieze and cornice with broken scroll pediment above, approached by flight of limestone steps. Round-headed doorcase to wing, with carved stone block-and-start surround and fanlight.
This imposing early eighteenth-century house was clearly designed by a skilled architect and the masonry executed by skilled craftsmen. The fine doorcase adds artistic interest to the façade and is typical of the period in which the building was erected, while the retention of timber sash windows and panelled doors further enhances the building. It forms part of a complex with Roscrea Castle and its related buildings and its grounds include an impressive garden with fountain.
Back To Results|