Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Damer House, Castle Street, Roscrea, Tipperary North
22303058
Front elevation.
Reg. No.22303058
Date1725 - 1735
Previous NameN/A
TownlandTOWNPARKS (ROSCREA PR)
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates213640, 189292
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingNational
Original Usehouse
In Use Asheritage centre/interpretative centre
 
Description
Detached nine-bay three-storey over basement town house, built c.1730, with later five-bay two-storey U-plan wing to southwest. Formerly part of military barracks. Now in use as heritage centre. Hipped artificial slate roofs with rendered chimneystacks to main block and brick to wing. Rubble sandstone walls with carved sandstone plinth and cornice. Replacement timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane to basement and nine-over-nine pane elsewhere, with raised dressed stone surrounds and stone sills in square-headed openings. Replacement timber windows, stone sills and voussoirs to wing. Timber panelled door with paned over-light, flanked by carved stone Corinthian pilasters, with architrave, frieze and cornice with broken scroll pediment above, approached by flight of limestone steps. Round-headed doorcase to wing, with carved stone block-and-start surround and fanlight.

Appraisal

This imposing early eighteenth-century house was clearly designed by a skilled architect and the masonry executed by skilled craftsmen. The fine doorcase adds artistic interest to the façade and is typical of the period in which the building was erected, while the retention of timber sash windows and panelled doors further enhances the building. It forms part of a complex with Roscrea Castle and its related buildings and its grounds include an impressive garden with fountain.
 
Back To Results