Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Old Church Centre, Mill Street, Mill Street, Borrisokane, Tipperary North
22302007
View of front, from north
Reg. No.22302007
Date1835 - 1840
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKILLEEN (BORRISOKANE PR)
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates191639, 194085
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Asoffice
 
Description
Freestanding cruciform-plan gable-fronted Catholic church, completed 1839, with three-bay side elevations to nave, single-bay chancel and transepts and with porch to south-west. Pitched slate main roofs, hipped to porch, and having cut limestone eaves and copings and with chimneystack to east end. Coursed squared limestone walls to north-facing elevations and rendered coursed rubble walls elsewhere. Dressed limestone quoins and surrounds to doors and windows. Lancet windows, tripled to front elevation, traceried pointed-arch windows to transepts and timber sliding sash windows with traceried upper sashes to chancel. Pointed segmental-arch main doorway having alternating fluted and plain voussoirs and containing timber battened double-leaf door. Four-centered arch doorway to west transept and pointed-arch doorway with traceried overlight to porch. Stained-glass windows to chancel and transepts. Panelled gallery to west transept and painted and gilded plasterwork to ceilings. Interior now subdivided to form offices. Rubble stone boundary walls to site.

Appraisal

Despite the subdivision of its interior, this former church retains many of its original features both internally and externally. Of particular value and artistic importance are the Evie Hone stained-glass windows, elaborate interior plasterwork and original sash windows with fine glazing bars. The retention of the slate roof, lime render to the rear of the building, the cut limestone details and the battened timber doors all contribute to conserving the original character of the building. The substantial size of the building is a reminder of the size of the congregation which attended services here in the mid-nineteenth century.
 
Back To Results