Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Roscommon

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
The Annunciation and St. Nathy, Pound Street, Cathedral Street, Ballaghaderreen, County Roscommon
31805020
Representative View
Reg. No.31805020
Date1850 - 1860
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBALLAGHADERREEN
CountyCounty Roscommon
Coordinates162071, 295058
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC ARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usecathedral
In Use Ascathedral
 
Description
Detached gable-fronted cathedral, built 1855. Comprising eight-bay nave with clerestory and lean-to side aisles, four-stage tower with spire to west, square-ended chancel to east with sacristy and mortuary chapel to north and south. Addition of spire, new sacristy and bells to tower in 1912. Pitched slate roofs with stone coping, stone and cast-iron finials and cast-iron ridge cresting. Snecked rock-faced sandstone walls with buttresses and tooled limestone dressings. Paired lancet windows to side aisles. Traceried window to west. Paired triple lancet lights with trefoil and quatrefoil overlights to eastern pointed-arched window. Lancet windows to sacristy and mortuary chapel. Tooled limestone surrounds, hood mouldings and stained glass throughout. Pointed-arched entrance with timber battened double doors and carved tympanum. Tooled surround with applied columns. Bellcote to south transept roof. Statue niches to tower. Five-bay two-storey presbytery south of cathedral with extensions to south. Cathedral set within its own grounds bounded by low stone wall.

Appraisal

Designed by Hatfield and Goldie with additional work in 1912 by W.H. Byrne, this monumental cathedral is of apparent architectural design. The rock-faced masonry and carved limestone dressings enhance its architectural form and are clearly the work of skilled craftsmen. Richly embellished, this cathedral is an important feature within the streetscape.
 
Back To Results