Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Offaly

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Moneygall former Chapel of Ease, County Offaly
14947003
Representative view
Reg. No.14947003
Date1780 - 1820
Previous NameN/A
TownlandMONEYGALL
CountyCounty Offaly
Coordinates202985, 180992
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Useschool
In Use Ashouse
Additional Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached three-bay single-storey former school, built c.1800, used as a chapel of ease from 1888, with gabled porch to south-west. Now used as a private house. Set back from the road. Pitched slate roof with scalloped and half hexagonal courses, terracotta ridge tiles, stone and concrete coping to gables and cast-iron rainwater goods. Random coursed stone walls with roughly dressed quoins. Pointed-arched window openings with patent reveals, cast-iron lattice windows and sandstone sills to side elevations. Oculus to western gable with cast-iron lattice window. Pointed-arched window openings to porch with uPVC windows. Pointed-arched door opening to porch with timber battened door. Concrete block wall to road with coping having rendered gate piers and metal gates.

Appraisal

Set back from Moneygall's main street, this small stone structure with squat lancets is a curious feature within the streetscape. Breaking the continuity of the flanking terraced houses, the building, which is now used as a private home, stands out within its setting. Its striking stone walls and attractive pitched roof express a character typically found in religious structures. Appropriate it is then that this former school was converted for use as a chapel of ease in 1888 for Templeharry Church, located a few miles away. Unfortunately, like the aforementioned church, this chapel has closed its doors and ceased to be a place of worship. Its conversion to domestic use, however, has saved it from a future of dereliction.
 
Back To Results