Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Offaly

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Mullagh House, County Offaly
14924004
Representative view of tower.
Reg. No.14924004
Date1825 - 1835
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKILLURIN
CountyCounty Offaly
Coordinates231227, 217227
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usefolly
 
Description
Freestanding single-bay two-stage tower, built 1830-1, on a circular plan. Now in ruins. Roof now missing. Part creeper- or ivy-covered lime rendered or roughcast coursed rubble stone walls with lime rendered or roughcast parapets. Pointed-arch door opening below square-headed "loop" with concealed yellow brick voussoirs. Square-headed "loops" with concealed yellow brick dressings. Pointed-arch door opening (second stage) with concealed yellow brick voussoirs. Interior in ruins with remains of cantilevered spiral staircase. Set on hill in grounds shared with Mullagh House.

Appraisal

A tower erected by Reverend Franc Sadleir (1775-1851) not only contributing positively to the group and setting values of the diminished Mullagh House estate, but also illustrating the continued development or "improvement" of the estate in the early nineteenth century with the architectural value of the composition, one variously known as "Sadleir's Tower" or "The Spire", suggested by such attributes as the cylindrical footprint centred on a Georgian Gothic or "Gothick" doorcase; the stepped silhouette; and the monolithic parapets.
 
Back To Results