Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Offaly

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Birr Town Library, John's Place, Birr, County Offaly
14819250
Representative view
Reg. No.14819250
Date1880 - 1890
Previous NamePresbyterian Church
TownlandTOWNPARKS (BB. BY.)
CountyCounty Offaly
Coordinates206230, 204948
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aslibrary/archive
 
Description
Detached two-bay single-storey former Presbyterian church, built in 1885, with four-bay nave, projecting entrance porch to side and vestry to rear. Now in use as library. Fronts directly onto street. Pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles and cast-iron rainwater goods. Cut stone gable coping and eaves course. Snecked limestone walls with plinth course and cut stone buttresses to corners. Double lancets with engaged columns and roses within pointed arched window openings with tooled stone arches to gable. Mandorla shaped traceried window below apex of entrance gable. Rose window to southern gable. Paired lancets to side elevations. Projecting gable-fronted porch with cast-iron finial, pointed-arched door opening having tooled stone surround and timber battened double door with wrought-iron hinges. Building flanked by random course stone plinth wall with limestone coping surmounted by cast-iron railings.

Appraisal

Birr Town Library is presently located in the former Presbyterian Church situated on John's Place. The building, with its impressive architectural design, makes a positive addition to the streetscape of John's Place. Along with retaining its Gothic features, the structure also retains many architectural features which tell of its religious past, such as the lancet windows with stone mullions, the timber battened doors as well as the fine stone buttresses. Now used as a library, it continues to play an important role in the history of Birr.
 
Back To Results