Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Offaly

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Lady, Harbour Street, Store Street, Tullamore, County Offaly
14807082
Representative view
Reg. No.14807082
Date1898 - 1906
Previous NameN/A
TownlandTULLAMORE
CountyCounty Offaly
Coordinates234076, 225245
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached Gothic style Roman Catholic church, completed in 1906, and rebuilt in the 1980s, with side chapels, nuns chapel, sacristy and four-stage tower stage spire to north west. Set within its own grounds. Pitched slate roofs with stone ridge tiles, limestone coping, cast-iron and limestone cross finials to gables. Rock-faced ashlar limestone walls with plinth. Octagonal turrets and flying buttresses flank western elevation. Tooled stone string courses to tower with pointed-arched openings, clock faces and statue niches to all elevations. Rose window to west elevation. Pointed-arched window with limestone mullions to east elevation trefoil headed paired windows with ashlar limestone surrounds to nave. Pointed-arched windows, with ashlar block-and-start surrounds some with hoodmouldings with fleuron stops. Pointed and shouldered arched door openings with ashlar surrounds some with hoodmouldings and fleuron stops. Eastern square-headed door opening with stepped ashlar surround and carved stone panel over door. Blocked western pedimented entrance comprising pointed-arched opening with stepped stone surround incorporating engaged Corinthian colonnettes with carved tympanum and trefoil-arched door opening, flanked by windows. Now statue in front. Timber doors to all elevations. Western entrance comprising rock-faced ashlar plinth wall surmounted by wrought-iron railings, carved ashlar gate piers and wrought-iron gates. Renovated interior with full-height roof trusses rising from ground. Eastern entrance comprising plinth wall surmounted by wrought-iron railings with rock-faced gate piers and wrought-iron gates. Southern entrance comprising octagonal ashlar gate piers with wrought-iron gates.

Appraisal

Originally built between 1898 and 1906 on the site of an earlier church to a design by William Hague, with work completed by T. F. McNamara after Hague's death, this church was largely rebuilt after a fire in 1983, with only the tower walls, steeple and west façade retained. The chancel has also been re-oriented. Executed in limestone with a striking attention to detail, it displays skilled craftsmanship throughout from the rock-faced walls with the contrasting ashlar surrounds to openings, to the carved decorative details of the tympanums and foliate stops which add artistic interest. This is continued by the Harry Clarke stained glass windows brought from Rathfarnham Castle, Dublin. With its three entrances and towering spire, this church stands as an integral landmark structure within Tullamore.
 
Back To Results