Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Monaghan

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Credit Union House, Main Street, Castleblayney, County Monaghan
41308017
41308017_1.jpg
Reg. No.41308017
Date1800 - 1820
Previous NameN/A
TownlandDRUMILLARD LITTLE
CountyCounty Monaghan
Coordinates282742, 319790
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Asbank/financial institution
 
Description
Terraced four-bay three-storey building, c.1810, possibly formerly two separate houses, with former integral carriage arch to west end of front, and with top floor and two-storey canted bays to front façade added c.1910. In use as credit union. Pitched roof with replacement slate, decorative terracotta ridge, and chamfered stone-capped gable parapets. Smooth-rendered chimneystacks on both gable ends and one to centre with over-sailing courses and cast-iron ogee-profile rainwater goods held on timber fasciaboard mounted on exposed, overhanging, with carved rafter ends, and square-profile downpipe. Painted smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walls to upper floors separated by moulded render sill course. Ground floor facade of polished granite tiles. Rusticated render quoins, with rusticated render quoin strips to angles of bay windows. Render sill course to top floor incorporating stone sills of square-headed window openings, latter having replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash frames with ogee horns and deep reveals. Polished granite moulded sills, plinth and door architraves, and replacement timber windows to ground floor. Flat lead roofs to bay windows, linked at ground floor level over entrance porch with flat-roofed section having cast-iron rainwater goods. Square-headed doorway to porch projects from front façade to be level with canted-bay windows either side, with overlight above replacement timber door. Double-leaf replacement timber doors with overlight to former vehicular access.

Appraisal

This distinctively grand building was elevated to its current imposing status when it was extended and embellished in the early twentieth century. It retains several features and clues to its original arrangement including the fenestration pattern and it continues the tradition of financial institutions occupying the principal streets of Irish rural towns.
 
Back To Results