Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Monaghan

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Louis Convent, Market Road, Dawson Street, Monaghan, County Monaghan
41303160
South elevation
Reg. No.41303160
Date1835 - 1840
Previous NameN/A
TownlandMULLAGHMONAGHAN
CountyCounty Monaghan
Coordinates267107, 333312
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usestore/warehouse
In Use Assports hall/centre/gymnasium
 
Description
Detached eight-bay two-storey limestone-built former canal store, built c.1838. Now in use as school sports hall (McCarthy Hall), with gable-fronted entrance porch to middle of north elevation. Single-storey lean-to addition of c.1990 to same elevation. Pitched slate roof, with stone chimneystack, and cast-iron and some replacement aluminium rainwater goods. Squared rubble masonry walls with sandstone ashlar quoins and window surrounds. Square-headed window openings with block-and-start ashlar surrounds, stone sills and fixed six-pane metal-framed windows. Wider segmental-headed window opening to upper part of east gable. Square-headed door openings with block-and-start ashlar surrounds and tongue-and-groove timber battened doors. Blocked segmental-arch former vehicular openings to both long walls set into square-headed recesses and flanked by pedestrian doorways, one blocked. Building attached, via recent link, to three-bay two-storey ancillary building to north-west that appears to be former dwelling house of nineteenth-century date, having catslide porch to north-west end of front, pitched slate roof, rubble walls, and square-headed openings, ground floor windows now blocked up. South elevation of former canal store fronts onto disused Ulster Canal, adjacent to road/canal bridge at Dawson Street. Buildings are part of Saint Louis Convent complex.

Appraisal

The Ulster Canal, linking Lough Neagh to the Shannon system via Lough Erne, was built over the period 1825-1842, reaching Monaghan in 1838. Although never very successful as a transport route the canal was a major engineering undertaking with considerable socio-historical significance. This former canal store was directly associated with this undertaking, and as such is of both historical and social importance. Architecturally, fine masonry detailing and a simple, industrial aesthetic are characteristic of the era in which the stores were built and the building forms an attractive architectural grouping with the school buildings to its west.
 
Back To Results