Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Meath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
County Meath
14404808
Representative view
Reg. No.14404808
Date1890 - 1895
Previous NameN/A
TownlandAGHER
CountyCounty Meath
Coordinates282682, 245627
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usesteward's house
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached three-bay two-storey red brick former estate steward's house, dated 1894, now in use as private dwelling. Hipped slate roof with decorative eaves course, rendered chimneystacks and crested ridge tiles. Bay window, entrance porch and oriel window to south elevation. Single-storey extensions to east and north, two-storey extension to north and timber windows replaced c.1985.

Appraisal

Though Agher House is now demolished, this steward's house forms part of an interesting group of related structures, with Agher school and Agher church, which were built by John Sanderson Winters. This house is of an interesting architectural design, due to its irregular form. The varying treatment of the windows, with a bay window and an oriel window to the entrance elevation are notable features. The house is a colourful addition to the surrounding landscape, with it red brick walls, moulded brick eaves course and terracotta ridge cresting. Plaque reads: 'J.S.W. 1894'.
 
Back To Results