Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Meath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Ardbraccan House, County Meath
14402402
Representative view
Reg. No.14402402
Date1730 - 1780
Previous NameN/A
TownlandARDBRACCAN
CountyCounty Meath
Coordinates282697, 268599
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORICAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usebishop's palace
In Use Ascountry house
 
Description
Detached double-pile seven-bay two-storey over raised basement central block, built c.1776, flanked by quadrant walls to five-bay two-storey kitchen and stable wings, built c.1735. Former residence of the Bishops of Meath, now in use as a private house. Hipped slate roof to main block with ashlar chimney stacks. Hipped slate roof to flanking blocks with central chimney stacks. Ashlar Ardbraccan limestone walls with string course and a carved limestone cornice. Rear elevation with central three bays advanced with full length square-headed window openings to central block with ashlar limestone reveals, tooled limestone sills and timber sash windows. Laundry house, granary, outbuildings, icehouse and walled gardens to rear.

Appraisal

Ardbraccan House and demesne occupy an historically important site as it has been the seat of the Bishops of Meath since the fourteenth century. It has archaeological sites within the demesne including a holy well and two mounds. Architecturally the house is significant as Richard Castle designed the kitchen and stable blocks while the central block appears to be a culmination of the designs of Thomas Cooley and James Wyatt, together with amateur architect the Rev. Daniel A. Beaufort. The house displays the finest construction materials, such as Ardbraccan limestone and high quality fixtures and fittings. The house is set in mature pasture land with formal gardens and walled gardens.
 
Back To Results