Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Main Record - Limerick City

Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Corbally House Nursing Home, Mill Road, Limerick, Limerick City
General View
Reg. No.21803001
Date1780 - 1800
Previous NameCorbally House
CountyLimerick City
Coordinates157980, 159762
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
Original Usecountry house
In Use Asnursing/convalescence home
Detached five-bay two-storey over basement house, built c. 1790, facing south and distinguished by a three-sided canted bay to west side elevation, and a three-bay two-storey over-basement bow centrally-placed to rear elevation. Flat-roofed return accretion to rear. An L-plan single-storey residential unit, built c. 1990, attached to west. Hipped artificial slate roof structure. All chimneystacks removed. Replacement metal rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with quoining to sides. Roughcast rendered rear elevation. Square-headed window openings above basement level with painted rendered surrounds, c. 1850, to front elevation surrounding a mix of original six-over-six timber sash windows and two-over-two timber sash windows with ogee horns, c. 1880; windows follow arc of bow to rear. Camber-arched basement elevation windows with three-over-three timber sash windows and timber casement windows behind metal security grilles. Round-arch door opening with painted architrave on block ends and foliate keystone, around a replacement glazed timber doorcase. Opening onto tarmacadamed hard surface front site car park. Enclosed from public road by high rubble limestone walls with gateway comprising spayed rendered screen walls with painted rendered piers supporting steel gates. Entrance to south with ashlar limestone walls and piers incorporating pointed-arch pedestrian opening, with replacement ball finials to capping stones, and replacement metal gates.


Once a large country house probably including much of the surrounding lands. This house may have been associated with a nearby mill and the small associated river to the rear. Now in use as a nursing home for the elderly it retains many important salient features including a bowed sash windows and original glass. The presence of a bow to the rear and the general proportions, ignoring the later stucco embellishments, attribute the house stylistically attributed to the closing decades of the eighteenth century. According to an unreferenced source in Sean Spellisey's 'The History of Limerick', Corbally House was the seat of Poole Gabbett, and was among 'several very elegant seats, with small but highly ornamented demesnes; the principal are Park House, the residence of the Rt. Rev. Dr. Ryan, R.C. Bishop of Limerick; Corbally Park, of Pierce Shannon, Esq.' According to the 1872 OS map, Corbally House was adjacent to Corbally Mills and once incorporated within the site a formally laid out walled garden, glass houses and a yard enclosed by stable buildings. An icehouse was integrated in the south boundary wall.
Back To Results