Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Limerick City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
O'Connell Monument, The Crescent, Limerick, Limerick City
21517118
View from Northwest
Reg. No.21517118
Date1850 - 1860
Previous NameO'Connell's Statue
Townland
CountyLimerick City
Coordinates157299, 156560
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usemonument
In Use Asmonument
 
Description
Freestanding bronze figurative sculpture of Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), designed in 1856 and unveiled in 1857, facing north standing on a granite ashlar podium, which rises from water fountain retained by limestone faced plinth walls, introduced c. 2000. Lettering to podium reads: O'Connell T. Kane M.D. Mayor.

Appraisal

This is the first outdoor public statue of Daniel O'Connell to be unveiled. It is a good quality academic sculpture to the designs of John Hogan (1800-1858). Daniel O'Connell is represented as a Roman with toga and looks towards the street named after him. O'Connell is nearer to the people than those on top of columns, such as the Rice Memorial. O'Connell wears contemporary clothes under the toga and the text of the Act of Catholic Emancipation is prominent in his left hand. The Irish figure is elevated to classical hero. The monument is a bid for power and influence by the newly empowered Catholic nationalist element in the city. It was designed for the Limerick Committee for the O'Connell Testimonial in 1856 and unveiled on the 15th August 1857. The total cost was £1,300. Originally the sculpture was surrounded by cast-iron railings with cast-iron lamp standards to the four corners. John Hogan was originally apprenticed to Sir Thomas Deane, and travelled to Rome to study. His numerous works include various versions of The Dead Christ, one of which is at Saint Finbarr's Cathedral in Cork.
 
Back To Results