Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Limerick City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
The Widow's Alms Houses, Nicholas Street, Limerick, Limerick City
21508012
View of Front and Side Elevations
Reg. No.21508012
Date1690 - 1700
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyLimerick City
Coordinates157776, 157719
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usealmshouse
In Use Asbuilding misc
 
Description
Terrace of five three-bay two-storey limestone almshouses, reputedly built in 1691, restored in 1970 and renovated by Limerick Corporation in 1993. Pitched slate roof with six limestone chimneystacks with plain clay pots. Coursed rubble limestone front elevation and side elevation with limestone ashlar quoins and red brick to chimney flue on side elevation, partially replaced c. 1995. Segmental-headed boarded-up window openings with red brick arches, red brick and limestone reveals, limestone sills. Segmental-headed blocked-up door openings with red brick arches, red brick and limestone reveals, some with limestone steps. Terrace perpendicular to the street located within grounds enclosed by coursed rubble limestone to south and east, with limestone capping. Two limestone ashlar piers joined by rusticated limestone plinth wall with coping surmounted by replacement mild steel railings, c. 1990. Low level wall to west has matching detailing. To north is a rusticated stone with pronounced horizontal joints. Railings and piers have been moved since 1870.

Appraisal

These almshouses were original built to house the widows of soldiers from the Castle. They remain an intact terrace of houses and are part of the history of King John's Castle and quarter. The early date given is not visually apparent from exterior which is nineteenth-century in character. It adds significantly to the architectural and historical importance of buildings on King's Island. Historically there is a prominence of almshouses in the Nicholas Street area, which is further emphasised by the Villier's Alms Houses and those adjacent to the former Bishop's Palace. These widow's almshouses are further indicative of the growth of an established charitable tradition within Limerick.
 
Back To Results