Main Record - County Louth
|Saint John of God Residence, County Louth
|Date||1775 - 1780|
|Previous Name||Drumacar/Saint. Mary's Hospital|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL|
|Original Use||country house|
|In Use As||hospital/infirmary|| |
Detached five-bay three-storey over basement former country house, built 1777, now used as a residential care home. Rectangular-plan, central entrance portico c.1850, four-bay three-storey wings to east and west c. 1950. Hipped slate roof behind dressed limestone parapet, smooth rendered chimneystacks, gutter hidden by parapet, cast-iron hoppers and downpipes. Painted smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walling, unpainted roughcast-render to wings. Square-headed window openings, painted stone sills on corbels, painted smooth rendered moulded architraves, segmental pediment to ground floor windows; painted timber nine-over six sliding sash windows to ground floor, six-over-six to first floor, three-over-three to second floor, pedimented window above portico. Dressed sandstone portico, Doric columns supporting triglyphed frieze, dentil cornice and balustrade parapet; square-headed door opening flanked by engaged Ionic columns supporting decorative cornice and pediment, stained glass sidelights; timber double doors containing stained glass lights. Plaque on portico commemorates fifty years of residence by Saint John of God brothers. House set in large grounds with various single-storey buildings for accommodation and clinics.
Drumcar House has been enlarged and enriched over the centuries. Originally a plain eighteenth-century rectangular house the addition of a very fine portico and rendered details contribute to the graceful appearance. Lived in by the McClintock family for nearly two hundred years, it has been occupied by the Saint John of God Brothers for fifty years and continues to play a significant role in the community.
Back To Results|