Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Louth

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Louth Hall, County Louth
13901426
Front (north) elevation
Reg. No.13901426
Date1740 - 1780
Previous NameN/A
TownlandLOUTH HALL
CountyCounty Louth
Coordinates295158, 296812
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usecountry house
 
Description
Detached multiple-bay three-storey Georgian house, built c. 1760, now in ruins. Shallow projecting curved bow to the east of south elevation c. 1805, tower house to west c.1350. House destroyed by fire in 2000. Roof not visible, hidden behind crenellated parapet, remains of red brick corbelled chimneystack to angle of fourteenth-century house and eighteenth-century house, south elevation. Roughcast-rendered over squared coursed rubble stone walling, coping to crenellations. Pointed arch square- and round-headed window openings, tooled limestone sills. Round-headed door opening to north elevation flanked by engaged tooled limestone columns, surmounted by broken pediment and fanlight, painted timber door with ten flat-panels, Plunkett family crest above pediment. House situated within field with ranges of random rubble stone outbuildings to west c. 1805, arranged around three yards; remains of walled garden to west, artificial lake to south, dovecot to south-west. Entrance gates to north-east on roadside comprising tooled limestone squared piers, cast-iron gates, flanked by pedestrian gates and curving quadrant plinth surmounted by cast-iron railings.

Appraisal

This house was the home of the Plunkett family, Lords of Louth, from the later medieval until the early-twentieth century. The continuity of occupation is reflected in the architectural changes, the migration from tower house to Georgian mansion. A fire in 2000 destroyed delicate early nineteenth century interior plasterwork. The archaeological, architectural and historical associations of this building are as immense as the structure itself.
 
Back To Results