Main Record - County Louth
|Date||1865 - 1885|
|Previous Name||Dundalk Railway Station|
|Townland||TOWNPARKS (Upper Dundalk By.)|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL|
|Original Use||building misc|| |
Detached seven-bay single-storey freight shed, built c. 1875, now disused. Rectangular-plan. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, red brick corbelled chimneystack, cast-iron gutters on painted timber fascia. Random rubble stone walling. Camber arch window openings, block-and-start red brick jambs, brick lintels, tooled granite sills, painted timber six-over-six fixed frame windows, wrought-iron window bars; round-headed window openings to south, red brick archivolt, eight-pane fixed frame windows. Camber-arched door openings, block-and-start red brick jambs, brick lintel, painted timber vertically-sheeted doors. Square-headed carriage opening, painted vertically-sheeted double timber doors. Located along eastern boundary of freight yard to south of Dundalk Railway Station, square-and-snecked stone wall running north-south forming east boundary of yard, smooth rendered coping, rock-faced ashlar gate pier to south, painted timber gate.
The elegant fenestration to the south elevation of this disused railway shed elevates the architectural design of a utilitarian structure. Located at the former entrance to the freight yard, it formed an attractive entrance with the well-executed stone wall and gate pier. Though now derelict and overgrown, it maintains its position within the varied structures which constitute Dundalk Railway Station.
Back To Results|