Main Record - County Louth
|Ardee Road, Dundalk, County Louth
|Date||1865 - 1885|
|Previous Name||Dundalk Railway Station|
|Townland||TOWNPARKS (Upper Dundalk By.)|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL|
|Original Use||store/warehouse|| |
Detached six-bay single-storey freight shed, built c. 1875, now disused. Rectangular-plan. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, roof vents to ridge, cast-iron gutters on painted timber fascia. Squared coursed stone walling, red brick Flemish bond walling to north-east, smooth rendered walling to east. Square-headed window openings, red brick block-and-start surrounds, tooled stone sills, openings now blocked. Square-headed door opening, metal door. Square-headed opening to east elevation, double metal doors. Set in freight yard located to south of Dundalk Railway Station, corrugated-iron shed to north-east.
This former freight shed displays the design and technical skills of nineteenth-century railway building in Ireland. One of a group of structures associated with Dundalk Railway Station, it is a reminder of the importance of Dundalk as a port and transit point for people and goods in a previous era and is an important part of the historical fabric of the town.
Back To Results|