Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Louth

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
4 Stapleton Place, Dundalk, County Louth
13707004
South elevation
Reg. No.13707004
Date1830 - 1835
Previous NameN/A
TownlandTOWNPARKS (Upper Dundalk By.)
CountyCounty Louth
Coordinates304547, 306668
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Terraced one-and-a-half-bay two-storey over basement with attic house, dated 1834. Full-height gabled projecting bay shared with house to west. Pitched slate roofs, clay ridge tiles, red brick corbelled chimneystack, rendered fractables with roll-top limestone coping to east and south gable, lead flashing to valleys, dormer window with carved timber bargeboards, timber cladding and uPVC window, overhanging eaves with uPVC soffit, uPVC gutters. Painted roughcast rendered walling, moulded string courses, painted stone coping to basement, rendered quoins to gabled-bay topped by moulded kneeler. Square-headed window openings, splayed smooth render surrounds, block-and-start jambs, hood mouldings, painted splayed sills, uPVC windows; painted timber one-over-one sliding sash window to first floor; pointed arch window opening to attic, painted timber casement window. Smooth rendered engaged porch to gabled-bay, stop-chamfered corners, Tudor arch entrance with chamfered reveals flanked by pointed openings with cast-iron guard rails, limestone slabs to platform, approached by cast-iron steps, wrought-iron hand railing; Tudor arch door opening to interior, chamfered reveals, painted timber vertically-sheeted door; square-headed door opening to basement to east accessed by flight of steps, uPVC door. Set within shared garden to south, concrete path, bounded by dressed ashlar stone plinth with cast-iron railings, piers and gates, tooled limestone threshold to gateway.

Appraisal

Built in 1834, by Thomas Smith, also architect of Louth Hospital, this terraced house, built as a pair with the house to its west, displays an interesting symmetrical design, which is highlighted by the gabled-bay. The use of simple decoration is effective, leading to an uncluttered façade, yet relieving the otherwise austere facade. The shared porch with its Tudor-influenced openings is particularly noteworthy, while the intricate ironmongery adds artistic significance.
 
Back To Results