Main Record - County Louth
|Millmount Museum Limited, 14 Millmount Square, Drogheda, County Louth
|Date||1800 - 1820|
|Previous Name||Richmond Fort Barracks|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL|
|Original Use||officer's house|
|In Use As||office|| |
Detached five-bay two-storey over raised basement former governor's house, built c. 1810, now in commercial use. Built into hillside underneath ramped access to Martello tower, lean-to bay with rendered parapet to west, lean-to rubble stone rear entrance to south. Double-pile hipped slate roof, no chimneystack visible, cast-iron gutter, circular cast-iron and uPVC downpipes. Painted roughcast-rendered walling, painted smooth rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings, painted smooth rendered surrounds, painted stone sills, painted timber six-over-six sliding sash windows, three-over-six sliding sash windows to basement. Round-headed door opening, painted smooth rendered surround, spoked fanlight, painted timber door with six flat panels, c. 1860, flight of limestone steps to entrance flanked by roughcast-rendered plinth walls, ashlar limestone coping. Basement retains corbelled rubble masonry arch c. 1200-1300. Set within former barracks complex, Martello tower, built 1808 to east, rubble stone boundary walls to site.
Reportedly built in conjunction with the adjacent Martello tower in 1808, this handsome building forms an integral part of the Millmount Barracks complex and conforms well to architectural typology on the site. The building displays finely-balanced proportions with a handsome limestone stairway giving a central emphasis to the façade. As a former governor's house it is a structure of historic interest to the town of Drogheda and retains fabric of archaeological interest, such as the rubble arch to the basement, reputedly part of original Norman motte on this site.
Back To Results|