Main Record - County Louth
|4-10 Millmount Square, Drogheda, County Louth
|Date||1710 - 1730|
|Previous Name||Richmond Fort Barracks|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL|
|In Use As||clubhouse|
|Additional Use||shop/retail outlet|| |
U-plan ten-bay two-storey former soldiers' billeting house with gabled end-bays, built c. 1720, later used as terrace of seven houses, now in use shops and clubhouse. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, red brick corbelled chimneystacks, cast-iron gutters fixed to stone corbelled course, circular cast-iron downpipes. Roughcast-rendered walling, cast-iron wall vents. Square-headed window openings, painted smooth rendered slightly projecting surrounds, painted tooled stone sills, painted timber six-over-six sliding sash windows, c. 1850, some painted timber casement window to first floor; tooled stone sills, painted timber one-over-one and six-over-six sliding sash windows to west elevation. Square-headed and round-headed door openings, painted smooth rendered surround, patterned glass overlight, painted timber panelled and glazed doors. Set facing Millmount Square, wrought-iron railings at rear.
This structure, built as part of Richmond Fort Barracks which was given to the Crown by William of Orange after the Battle of the Boyne, was originally soldiers' billeting houses. This building forms an important and significant piece of Drogheda's history and architectural heritage.
Back To Results|