Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Leitrim

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Lough Rynn Walled Gardens, County Leitrim
30935006
Representative view
Reg. No.30935006
Date1855 - 1860
Previous NameN/A
TownlandRINN
CountyCounty Leitrim
Coordinates209897, 293666
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC ARCHITECTURAL SCIENTIFIC TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usewalled garden
In Use Aswalled garden
 
Description
Walled garden complex, built in 1859 to a design by the firm of Deane and Woodward, comprising four separate gardens, terraced towards Lough Rynn and bounded by random coursed stone walls. Access to first garden through cut stone piers with hipped slate canopy supported on timber brackets with limestone corbels. Garden contains stone outbuildings with slate roofs to south wall. Entrances in south wall to remaining three gardens. Pointed-arched openings with sandstone voussoirs and block-and-start surrounds. South-west garden contains glass house with castellated stone plinth walls. Three southern gardens have limestone steps leading between them descending westwards. Two-storey octagonal viewing turret or summer house, built in 1867 at north-west corner of south-east garden. Slate roof with cast-iron weather vane. Random coursed stone walls. Pointed-arched openings with dressed stone surrounds. Two cast-iron balconies. Steps leading from gardens to lakeside terminating in pointed-arched and segmental-headed openings with timber battened doors.

Appraisal

These walled gardens are a reminder of the past horticultural traditions associated with country houses. Their scale and the views they command over the lake make them a notable part of the estate. The glass house would have represented a significant technical achievement in its time. The summer house, which was designed by J.E. Rogers, is an appealing design with its finely executed stonework and cast-iron balconies adding artistic interest to the site. The notice board on site indicates that the garden designs were by Deane and Woodward.
 
Back To Results