Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Leitrim

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Drumreilly Church of Ireland Church, County Leitrim
30925002
Representative view
Reg. No.30925002
Date1735 - 1740
Previous NameN/A
TownlandCULLY
CountyCounty Leitrim
Coordinates219500, 312291
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC ARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached single-cell Church of Ireland church, built in 1737, with three-bay nave and porch to west end. Pitched tiled roof with stone bellcote, chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods. Pebbledashed walls with stone eaves course. Cast-iron double lancets with leaded lattice glazing and replacement timber windows to segmental-headed openings to nave with sandstone sills. Timber battened door. Variety of late medieval stone masks to elevations. Barrel-roofed stone mausoleum and eighteenth-century grave markers to graveyard. Built by William Gore Esq. Cast-iron gates with limestone piers and random coursed stone walls to site.

Appraisal

Drumreilly Church overlooks Garadice Lough and is prominently located within the landscape. The church retains many interesting features including the cast-iron lattice windows, carved stone masks, reused from and earlier structure. These elements are not only functional but decorative, adding an attractive finish to an otherwise unadorned place of worship.
 
Back To Results