Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Limerick

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Our Lady of Ransom Roman Catholic Church, Glenroe, County Limerick
21905702
South elevation.
Reg. No.21905702
Date1830 - 1840
Previous NameOur Lady of Mercy Roman Catholic Church
TownlandSPITTLE
CountyCounty Limerick
Coordinates172104, 119014
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Freestanding gable-fronted Roman Catholic church, built between 1830-32. Comprising five-bay nave, open work limestone bellcote having cast-iron cross finial and recent four-bay single-storey extension to east elevation. Pitched slate roof with limestone copings and render cross finial to front (west) elevation. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls having limestone plaque to front. Lancet stained glass quarry glazed windows with limestone sills and pointed arch opening having render surround, limestone sill and timber Y-tracery quarry glazed stained glass windows. Pointed arch openings to nave with render surrounds, limestone sills and timber Y-tracery quarry glazed stained glass windows. Those to south elevation having render hoodmouldings. Round-headed opening with render hoodmoulding, stained glass overlight and double-leaf timber panelled doors. Round-headed door opening to north elevation with render surround, stained glass overlight, now partially blocked up. Round-headed door opening to south elevation having render hoodmoulding, stained glass overlight, now partially blocked up with pointed arch niche having statue over. Marble altar to interior. Pair of square-profile sandstone piers with carved caps and single-leaf cast-iron gate. Boundary walls comprising dressed sandstone walls having sandstone cappings and lined-and-ruled rendered walls with limestone cappings to. Graveyard to site.

Appraisal

The simple form of Our Lady of Mercy church is enhanced by the decorative render detailing, and carved limestone elements such as the ashlar bellcote and copings. The survival of features such as the inscribed plaques add contextual interest to the church. The sandstone and rendered boundary walls enhance the composition of the site.
 
Back To Results