Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kilkenny

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Ballinamara Church, County Kilkenny
12401301
Representative view of church (west and south elevations).
Reg. No.12401301
Date1790 - 1810
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBALLYCANNON
CountyCounty Kilkenny
Coordinates241736, 159780
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached three-bay single-storey single-cell Board of First Fruits Church of Ireland church, c.1800, with single-bay three-stage entrance tower to west on a square plan. In use, 1902. Now in ruins. Pitched roof now gone with cut-limestone coping to gables, and no rainwater goods surviving on ivy-clad cut-limestone eaves. Roof to tower not visible behind parapet (presumed now gone). Unpainted rendered walls over random rubble stone construction with cut-limestone surround to gable to west, cut-limestone stringcourse to each stage to tower, and crow-stepped battlemented advanced parapet having cut-limestone coping. Pointed-arch openings (including to top (bell) stage to tower) with cut-limestone sills, cut-limestone surrounds (having chamfered reveals to first stage to tower; no surrounds to top (bell) stage), hood mouldings over, and fittings now missing. Tudor-headed door opening with carved cut-limestone surround having chamfered reveals, and hood moulding over (now blocked-up with unpainted render over). Set back from road in own grounds with unpainted roughcast piers over random rubble stone construction having cut-limestone capping, and iron gate. (ii) Graveyard to site with various cut-stone markers, c.1800-post-1902.

Appraisal

A pleasant modest-scale rural church conforming to a standard arrangement of nave and tower associated with churches sponsored by the Board of First Fruits (fl. 1711-1833). Having fallen into an advanced state of disrepair following a prolonged period of disuse the church survives as a picturesque landmark of some Romantic quality in the landscape with an attendant graveyard containing markers of artistic design importance enhancing the group and setting values of the site. The church remains a particularly important element of the architectural heritage on account of the status as a reminder of the once-prosperous Church of Ireland community in the locality.
 
Back To Results