Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kilkenny

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Urlingford Courthouse, Main Street, Urlingford, County Kilkenny
12304009
Representative view of courthouse.
Reg. No.12304009
Date1835 - 1845
Previous NameN/A
TownlandURLINGFORD
CountyCounty Kilkenny
Coordinates228446, 163484
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usecourt house
In Use Aslibrary/archive
 
Description
Detached five-bay two-storey courthouse, built 1840, on a symmetrical plan with single-bay two-storey advanced end bays; single-bay single-storey recessed porches. Closed, ----. Adapted to alternative use, 1996. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered "wallhead" chimney stacks (north) having concrete capping, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods on cut-limestone dentil consoles on cut-limestone eaves. Part creeper- or ivy-covered rendered walls on cut-limestone chamfered plinth with rendered band to eaves. Camber-headed window openings in camber-headed recesses (ground floor) with drag edged limestone ashlar channelled voussoirs framing eight-over-eight timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings (first floor) with cut-limestone sill course, and dragged cut-limestone surrounds with hood mouldings on blind friezes framing eight-over-twelve timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings to rear (north) elevation with cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing eight-over-twelve timber sash windows. Square-headed door openings (porches) with cut-limestone step thresholds, and cut-limestone surrounds with monolithic pilasters supporting "Cyma Recta"- or "Cyma Reversa"-detailed pediments on consoles framing timber panelled double doors. Lunette windows openings with cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing rendered infill. Interior including (ground floor): vestibules; offices retaining carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled shutters on panelled risers; double-height courtroom with round-headed niches centred on segmental-headed niche, and picture railing below moulded plasterwork cornice to ceiling centred on ventilation rose. Set back from line of road with landscaped verge to front.

Appraisal

A courthouse erected to designs by William Deane Butler (1793/4-1857) of Saint Stephen's Green, Dublin (DIA), representing an important component of the mid nineteenth-century built heritage of County Kilkenny with the architectural value of the composition, one recalling the Butler-designed Callan Courthouse (1840; see 12314005), confirmed by such attributes as the compact symmetrical footprint; the deep grey limestone dressings demonstrating good quality workmanship; and the monolithic stone work embellishing the roofline. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original or replicated fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior where contemporary joinery; and sleek plasterwork refinements, all highlight the artistic potential of a courthouse forming part of a self-contained group alongside the adjacent constabulary barrack (see 1204010) with the resulting ensemble making a pleasing visual statement in a rural village street scene.
 
Back To Results