Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kildare

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Ardreigh House, Athy, County Kildare
11903511
Representative view of front (north) elevation.
Reg. No.11903511
Date1870 - 1910
Previous NameN/A
TownlandARDREE
CountyCounty Kildare
Coordinates268677, 192455
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usemiller's house
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached three-bay two-storey over basement former mill owner's house, c.1890, with single-bay two-storey gabled advanced entrance bay to centre having cut-stone doorcase, three-bay two-storey side elevation to east with single-bay single-storey canted oriel window to first floor and four-bay three-storey rear elevation to south. Extended, c.2000, comprising single-bay single-storey end bay to west. Now in private residential use. Hipped roof with slate (gabled to entrance bay). Clay ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stacks. Overhanging timber eaves on corbels. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Hipped roof to end bay behind parapet wall. Artificial slate. Concrete ridge tiles. Rendered walls. Ruled and lined. Painted. Rendered to end bay. Unpainted. Square-headed window openings (including to canted oriel window to first floor to side to east on corbel). Stone sills. Rendered surround with entablature to first floor entrance bay. 6/6 timber sash windows (1/1 timber sash windows to first floor entrance bay in tripartite arrangement). Concrete sills to end bay. Fixed-pane aluminium windows. Cut-stone pilaster doorcase with advanced central section having frieze and entablature. Glazed timber panelled double doors. Round-headed side lights. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Set back from road in own grounds. Gravel forecourt to front. Lawns to site. Detached four-bay single-storey gate lodge, c.1890, to east with two-bay single-storey gabled projecting bay to centre. Renovated, c.1980, with single-bay single-storey mono-pitch porch added. Hipped roof with slate (gabled to projecting bay; mono-pitch to porch). Clay ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stack. Overhanging timber eaves on brackets. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls. Painted. Square-headed openings. Stone sills. 6/6 timber sash windows. Lattice-glazed fixed-pane windows to projecting bay.

Appraisal

Ardreigh House is a fine and imposing, late nineteenth-century Classical-style house that was originally built for the owner of the nearby Ardreigh Mills, replacing an earlier house on the bank of the River Barrow. The house has been well maintained and retains most of its original character, features and materials. The front (north) elevation of the house is somewhat ornate and helps to convey the prosperity of the builder - composed on a symmetrical plan and with Classically-inspired proportions, fine detailing is used throughout, ranging from the ruled and lined render to imitate stone work through to the fine cut-stone doorcase to the entrance bay having an architrave to the window over. The house has been extended in recent years, yet this does not detract from the original character of the piece and many of the original materials have remained in situ, including early timber sash fenestration and a slate roof. The house is attractively set in its own landscaped grounds and is an attractive landmark on the banks of the river nearby. The house is of social and historical interest, attesting to the industry practised nearby that was historically a major employer in Athy. Supplementary features of the estate include the pleasant gate lodge to the east, which is also of architectural merit and which retains important early salient features including fenestration and roof materials.
 
Back To Results