Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kildare

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Wonderful Barn originally Barn Hall, County Kildare
11901102
Representative view of grain store including view of farmhouse.
Reg. No.11901102
Date1740 - 1745
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBARNHALL
CountyCounty Kildare
Coordinates299261, 235384
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingNational
Original Usefolly
 
Description
Freestanding single-bay six-stage grain store, dated 1743, on a circular plan with series of four single-bay single-storey gabled projecting bays. Now disused. Flat roof behind parapet approached by flight of ninety-four cut-limestone steps. Part creeper- or ivy-covered slate hung (lower stages) or lime rendered (upper stages) battered walls with rough faced cut-limestone stringcourses including rough faced cut-limestone stringcourse supporting battlemented parapet having cut-limestone coping. Square-headed openings including square-headed opening (west) below cut-limestone date stone ("1743") with lintel framing timber boarded double doors. Triangular window openings with rough faced cut-limestone sill courses, and concealed dressings with monolithic hood mouldings framing fixed-pane fittings. Square-headed door openings, concealed dressings with monolithic hood mouldings framing remains of timber fittings. Interior with limewashed red brick English bond vaulted chambers. Set in unkempt grounds.

Appraisal

A grain store representing an important component of the eighteenth-century built heritage of County Kildare with the architectural value of the composition, one erected by Katherine Conolly (née Conyngham) (1662-1752) as a relief scheme in response to the so-called "Black Spring" (1741), confirmed by such attributes as the symmetrical footprint; the conical silhouette; the "loop"-like openings; and the parapeted summit doubling as a viewing platform commanding panoramic vistas back to Castletown House and the Conolly Obelisk. Having been reasonably well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, including a partial slate hung surface finish: meanwhile, limewashed vaulted chambers pinpoint the engineering or technical dexterity of a grain store forming the centrepiece of a self-contained group alongside adjacent dovecotes (----) with the resulting ensemble making a picturesque visual statement in a rural street scene.
 
Back To Results