Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kildare

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Naas Post Office, Main Street South, Naas, County Kildare
11814039
East elevation
Reg. No.11814039
Date1800 - 1850
Previous NameN/A
TownlandNAAS WEST
CountyCounty Kildare
Coordinates266928, 219398
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Aspost office
 
Description
Terraced four-bay three-storey building, c.1825, originally two separate two-bay three-storey houses retaining early fenestration to upper floors. Renovated, c.1995, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Gable-ended roof with slate. Clay ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stacks. Iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves course. Rendered walls to upper floors. Ruled and lined. Painted. Replacement cut-limestone cladding, c.1995, to ground floor with remains of earlier moulded rendered cornice over. Square-headed window openings. Stone sills. 1/1 timber sash windows. Openings remodelled, c.1995, to ground floor. Replacement fixed-pane display windows. Replacement tongue-and-groove timber panelled doors, c.1995, in square-headed open internal porch. Road fronted. Concrete brick footpath to front.

Appraisal

Naas Post Office, which was probably originally built as two separate houses, is a fine, symmetrically-planned building that retains most of its original form and character to the upper floors. Recent (c.1995) renovations have entailed remodelling to ground floor for the purpose of inserting a 'corporate identity' frontage, and this has detracted considerably from the harmony of the building, the openings to ground floor having no relationship with those to the upper floors. The building retains many original or early features and materials to the upper floors, including timber sash fenestration and a slate roof. The building is of some social and historic interest, representing a component of the continued development of the historic core of Naas in the early nineteenth century. The building contributes positively to the streetscape of South Main Street, continuing the established streetline and adding incident to the roofline.
 
Back To Results