Survey Data

Reg No

50120100


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1790 - 1795


Coordinates

317957, 236433


Date Recorded

26/10/2017


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-pile three-storey house over raised basement, built 1792 as one of twenty-five, having three-bay ground floor and two-bay upper floors, rear having full-height two-bay bow to east end and two-storey return to west. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west end, having shared rendered chimneystacks with clay pots to east end, hidden behind rendered parapet having moulded render cornice, and eaves course, and with pitched roof to return. Ruled-and-lined rendered walls and cut masonry plinth course. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed doorway with carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters supporting cornice and plain fanlight, moulded rendered surround and corbels and timber panelled door, approached by flight of four granite steps and platform with wrought-iron railings. Carparking to former front garden. Garden to rear.

Appraisal

This house is part of a significant architectural set-piece, Marino Crescent, one of the few remaining Georgian crescents in the city. The classically restrained façade is ornamented with a rendered parapet and eaves course, and well-executed doorcase. The crescent comprises houses with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns, with larger houses to the centre and west end. The houses were built in the last decade of the eighteenth century to take advantage of the sea views, prior to land reclamation projects associated with the enlargement of Dublin Port. The crescent was built by Charles ffolliot, reputedly to spite Lord Charlemont, blocking the vista from Marino House, and the houses were locally known as Spite Crescent as a result.