Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
138 Capel Street, Capel Street, Dublin 1, Dublin City
50060513
Representative, east elevation
Reg. No.50060513
Date1720 - 1740
Previous NameHibernian Hotel and Dining Rooms
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315346, 234443
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Asshop/retail outlet
 
Description
Terraced three-bay four-storey former house, built c.1730, with shopfront to ground floor. Roof concealed behind rendered parapet with painted masonry coping. Concealed rainwater goods. Brick chimneystack to north side. Painted rendered walling with banded quoins to upper floors. Diminishing square-headed window openings with plain reveals, granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Modern varnished timber shopfront with pilasters and bracketed fascia having two doors to separate shops. Three doors on ground floor, two of glass, leading into two shops, and modern timber panelled door to south side leading to upper floor apartments. Fronts directly onto street.

Appraisal

According to Dublin Civic Trust 'Survey of Gable-Fronted and Other Early Buildings of Dublin',(2012) the rendered and reordered exterior of this house hides an early eighteenth-century building. The evidence for this early date is the large chimneystack, form of the roof, large plot width and proportions. The building contributes to the historic built form of Capel Street ACA, one of Dublin's oldest commercial areas. In 1902 the building was in use as an hotel. Proprietor: George Temple. Breakfast, Dinner, Tea and Bed could be had from 3/6 per day.
 
Back To Results