Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Vincent's Centre, Navan Road, Dublin 7, Dublin City
50060128
Representative, north gable and east nave elevation
Reg. No.50060128
Date1880 - 1900
Previous NameSaint Vincent's Home
TownlandCABRAGH (CA. BY.) FINGLAS ED
CountyDublin City
Coordinates311511, 236761
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Freestanding gable-fronted single-cell chapel, built c.1890, facing north with five-bay nave elevations, projecting gabled porch to east and two-bay wing abutting rear. Pitched slate roofs with roll-moulded black clay ridge tiles with iron crosses to apexes and set behind slightly raised verges with granite coping. Replacement uPVC guttering supported on moulded eaves corbels, and replacement uPVC downpipes. Granite ashlar bellcote over north gable with round-arch opening and iron cross finial. Random coursed rock-faced limestone walls with rock-faced granite ashlar quoins. Round-headed window openings with flush chamfered granite ashlar surrounds, splayed sills and latticed lead windows. Nave and porch windows have block-and-start chamfered yellow brick reveals. Round-headed door opening to gable-front with stop-chamfered flush granite surround having hood moulding, label stops and double-leaf sheeted timber doors. Round-headed door opening to side porch with flush chamfered granite head rising from yellow brick jambs on granite block having replacement hardwood glazed doors. Rear wing has diminutive square-headed window openings with flush chamfered granite lintels and sills, yellow brick reveals and leaded latticed windows. Later flat-roofed brown brick structure to west, built c.1970.

Appraisal

A diminutive stone chapel built as part of Saint Vincent's complex, originally built as the Auxiliary Workhouse, North Dublin Union, which retains much of its external detailing. The various buildings within the complex were designed as a cohesive group, including this chapel, the main workhouse building and the gate lodge, which consequently have matching materials and detailing. The chapel's proportions contrast with those of the main workhouse building but this adds to the overall appeal and diversity of the site.
 
Back To Results