Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
4 O'Connell Street Upper, Dublin, Dublin City
50010537
Front elevation
Reg. No.50010537
Date1915 - 1920
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315919, 234708
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Useshop/retail outlet
In Use Asshop/retail outlet
 
Description
Terraced two-bay five-storey brick commercial building, built 1917, as part of terrace of six similar buildings with eecent shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof behind parapet wall with limestone coping and red brick chimneystacks to both party walls. Machine-made red brick walls laid in Flemish Bond with channel rusticated limestone soldier quoins to either end from first floor to parapet. Moulded limestone platband to base of parapet with deep moulded modillioned limestone cornice and frieze defining attic storey and further limestone cornice over shopfront. All horizontal mouldings extend across all six buildings. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings to second to fourth floors with original multiple-pane timber casement windows and limestone sills. Full-span square-headed window opening to first floor surmounted by limestone lintel frieze and drip cornice with original multiple-pane tripartite timber casement window having decorative mullions, decorative transom and margined overlights.

Appraisal

This two-bay building forms part of a block that was built as part of the reconstruction of O'Connell Street following the extensive destruction of the 1916 Rising. Designed by Donnelly, Moore, Keefe & Robinson, the building retains all its original windows with slight variations to its neighbours which together form a coherent example of early twentieth-century architecture on the city's main thoroughfare.
 
Back To Results