Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Spar / Lynham's Hotel, 63-64 O'Connell Street Upper, Henry Place, Dublin, Dublin City
50010532
Front elevation
Reg. No.50010532
Date1740 - 1870
Previous NameThe Royal Bank of Ireland
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315863, 234710
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Ashotel
Additional Useshop/retail outlet
 
Description
Terraced four-bay four-storey stucco-fronted former pair of townhouses over concealed basement, built c.1750, converted 1869 to bank, now in use as shop and hotel. M-profile roof with infilled central valley and three dormers to front pitch. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with modillioned parapet cornice. Brick chimneystacks to both party walls. Steel hopper and downpipe to centre of façade. Painted ruled-and-lined rendered walls with plain frieze below cornice, diamond-faced render quoins to second and third floors and continuous cornice at second floor sill level. First floor flanked by pilasters with coin moulding, paired console brackets and diamond-faced panel. Square-headed window openings with moulded surrounds and single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Third floor windows have lugged and kneed stop-chamfered surrounds with sill brackets, first and second floors having plain surrounds flanked by decorative console brackets supporting hood cornice. Channel rusticated rendered ground floor with triglyphs framing each opening supporting fluted cornice and full-span bellied iron balcony above. South half has modern shopfront with former opening to south while north half has three openings with replacement timber glazed double-leaf doors. Glazed block panels to the front pavement lighting basement level. Four-storey redbrick extension to rear onto Henry Place.

Appraisal

This pair of eighteenth-century townhouses is a rare survivor of the 1916 Rising which destroyed most of the building stock of O'Connell Street. Remodelled by Charles Geoghan in 1869 for use as the Royal Bank, the buildings were amalgamated with later remodelling in 1925 by Donnelly, Moore & Keating. Only the graduated fenestration conforms to their eighteenth-century origin with the nineteenth and twentieth-century alterations providing much of their current architectural character, enhancing the wealth and variety of architectural styles on the city's main thoroughfare.
 
Back To Results