Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
John Brereton Jewellers, 29 O'Connell Street Lower, Dublin 1, Dublin City
50010522
Representative view (west elevation)
Reg. No.50010522
Date1915 - 1925
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315941, 234636
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Useshop/retail outlet
In Use Asshop/retail outlet
Additional Useoffice
 
Description
Terraced two-bay four-storey shop over concealed basement, built 1920, now in multiple use as jewellers and offices and having recent shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind granite ashlar parapet having chimneystacks on party walls shared with No.28 to south and No.30 to north. Unified granite ashlar façade to Nos.29-33 O'Connell Street Lower, sharing same parapet height and having small variations in west elevation. Parapet lower than No.28 to south. Pock marks to centre of west elevation where signage was previously fixed. Minimal granite classicism with engaged pilasters to attic storey, moulded string course to parapet, dentillated entablature forming fourth floor sill course, with fluted console bracket to south. Giant pilasters to first and second floors. Plain moulded platband and squat channelled engaged pilasters to ground floor flanking triple-canted recessed shopfront. Square-headed window openings with moulded granite surrounds to upper floors, recessed mouldeds panel to second floor aprons. Timber-framed side-hung casement windows throughout. Rear access from Earl Place via modern brick Clery's building.

Appraisal

This terraced retail building shares a unified minimal granite ashlar façade with Nos.29 to 33, having slight variations in each individual façade. The canted shopfront and illuminated signage are not original but do not detract from the restrained elegance of the building. Sackville Mall was initiated by Luke Gardiner from 1749 when he purchased land from the Moore Estate and demolished the northern part of Drogheda Street, widening it to create a rectangular Mall. Leases were issued in 1751 and private mansions were built on the east and west sides of the street over the next decade. Gardiner's Mall was extended through Drogheda Street to the river as Lower Sackville Street by the Wide Streets Commissioners during the 1780s and 1790s and Carlisle Bridge was opened to the south of Sackville Street in 1795. Nos.29-34 were rebuilt in 1919 following the destruction of the 1916 Rising to designs by Donnelly, Moore, Keefe & Robinson.
 
Back To Results