Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Emobile, 37 Henry Street, Dublin 1, Dublin City
50010496
Front (south) elevation
Reg. No.50010496
Date1915 - 1920
Previous NameMarks & Co Builders
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315829, 234662
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Asshop/retail outlet
 
Description
Terraced single-bay four-storey building, built c.1917, having recent shopfront to ground floor and bowed oriel windows through first and second floors. Flat roof with rendered chimneystack concealed behind Portland stone parapet wall over dentillated Portland stone cornice. Flemish bond red brick walls having ashlar Portland stone flanking pilasters with foliate decorations within shouldered-and-kneed panels surmounted by raised shield motifs on raised panels. Segmental-headed window opening to third floor, having gauged brick voussoirs with Portland stone keystone, masonry sill and timber-framed four-light window. Oriel windows have timber-framed leaded windows, moulded timber cornices and sills, with sidelights and overlights to first floor.

Appraisal

This pleasantly proportioned building was redesigned and reconstructed by McDonnell & Dixon in 1917 following its destruction during the 1916 Rising. Elaborate period carvings and a pleasant oriel window to the upper floors add decorative interest, while the masonry pilasters and cornice provides contrast to the red brick façade. The design and fabric of this building endow it with a strong individuality, providing a focal point on the streetscape.
 
Back To Results